It seems that the pursuit of hapiness is never ending — it’s what we all strive to find and keep. Nobody is jolly and elated all the time, but some individuals are definitely more fulfilled than others. In school we once read a book by François le Lord about the pursue of happiness in ethics. Since then I was very curious to find out the true reason why some people are being happy and others are not. I’ve researched a lot in the internet and even read some more books about it. Here I want to share with you the main findings of several hapiness researches I have studied.
According to latest research, we each have a baseline level of happiness. No matter what happens, good or bad, the effect on our happiness is temporary and we tend to revert to our baseline level. So even if you achieve that promotion, the marriage with your longterm boyfriend and so on, you will adapt to that positive change in your life very quickly and after this you will feel just as happy as you did before your achievements. Some people have a higher baseline happiness level than others, and that is due in part to genetics, but it’s also largely influenced by how you think.
- So advice number 1 would be to always try to think positive instead of always picturing the gloomiest outcome to oneself. Your girlfriend break up with you? Now you have the chance to meet someone else! You lost your job? Now you can seize the opportunity to find a better one! Adjust your mentality so that, in everything that happens to you, there’s some kernel of good.
- Stay busy and be social If you want to be happier, develop an outgoing, social personality — accept that drinks invitation, join the walking club, book group or choir. The best way to be happy is in the company of others, so keep building your social life, because it’s not only fun but also meaningful and rewarding.
- Stop comparing Ambition is good but envy destroys your positive feelings, making you unhappy. If you always compare yourself with people who are in some way better off than you, it can spoil the benefits of ambition so be very careful with comparing yourself to others. Instead, focus on yourself, work on your goals and dreams so you can enjoy your ambition and achievements.
- Be grateful for what you have Research shows that happy people have modest levels of expectation and aspirations — they want what they can get — while unhappy people never seem to get what they want. So try to strive for realistic goals and be grateful for what you have. Sometimes we must accept things as they come and enjoy what we have.
- Be authentic Just stop worrying about what others think about you! Only then, you can truly be yourself. Happy people are spontaneous, natural and don’t pretend to be someone they are not to impress others. If people don’t like the real you, they are not worth your time. Be real, say what you think and feel and you will feel free, authentic and happy
- Treat your body like it deserves to be happy Your brain isn’t the only organ in your body that deserves to be happy. Researchers have found that exercise, healthy diets, and regular sleep are key factors in growing more happy and staying that way.
Find out what the other 6 scientific findings on how to become happy are in my next post
Posted in Mind | Tagged happiness, how to be happy, the key to happiness | Leave a Comment »
Trendwatch: Berry lips
This fall is all about the berry lip trend. Dark and bold berry lips are versatile and classic, plus it’s flattering on every skin tone. It’s also super easy to pull off: You only need a lipstick in a nice berry shade that suits your skin tone (go lighter for fair skin and chose a deep berry hue if you have darker skin).
Simplicity is key whenever you’re wearing a bold lip, so keep the rest of the face simple with a tinted moisturiser or a moisturising BB cream and a neutral eye look with just a bit of brown liner and maybe some neutral eyeshadow in soft plum, taupe or ashy brown shades. By doing this you can be sure that your lip will be the centre of attention this season!
- The dark shade of your lips can wash you out a bit, so make sure you wear some blush on the top of your cheeks so you don’t look to pale.
- If you’ve picked a shade that’s too dark or purple, take your favorite red lipstick and mix the two. It will leave you with a shade that’s much easier to wear.
- Wear your berry hue with confidence!
Posted in Beauty | Tagged berry lips, fall beauty, plum lip | Leave a Comment »
Fall season means snuggling up in our warm, cozy homes. But when we are outside, we want to keep warm as well as looking hot. My go-to outfit for autumn will be the versatile pixie pant which is a stable in my wardrobe because it’s so comfy and easy to wear.
Here, I show you 6 ways how to style your Pixie pants this fall season:
I love pairing them with boots and if you want to keep your feet extra warm, you can wear knee high socks under your boots.
Of course, you can also dress up your Pixie pant with some colourful heels.
Oh, and if you don’t want to spend all your money on pixie pants (they cost around $90) any thick leggins which isn’t see through will do!
How do you wear your Pixie Pant or thick leggins this fall season? Let me know in the comments
Posted in Fashion | Tagged fall fashion, pixie pant, pixie pant style, thick leggins | Leave a Comment »
It’s autumn again-what a pretty season! Colourful leaves are falling from the trees which are softly swaying in the wind. Children collect brown chestnuts hiding under the leaves and carve faces into bright orange pumpkins. When you get inside the room, everything smells just like autumn- the pumpkin-cinnamon candle, the smell of leaves and the forest and of course a freshly baked pumpkin pie.
Sweet cinnamon-pumpkin canlde by Bath and Bodyworks
You see, I just love this season Today, I stole a huge pumpkin from the fields close to where I live, so me and my mum made this delicious, creamy pumpkin soup and a salad with grilled pumpkin slices. Have you tried anything with pumpkin yet?
Creamy pumpkin soup
Salad with croutons, grapes, grilled pumpkin slices and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar
I hope you enjoy this season as much as I do What does autumn mean to you?
Posted in Nutrition | Tagged autumn, autumn food, pumkin salad, pumpkin candle, pumpkin soup | Leave a Comment »
A post about autumn/winter skin care for men and women was highly requested, since the skin is much drier and just needs that extra care in those cold months.
Today, I’m starting with a simple but effective autumn/winter skin care regimen for men, which my boyfriend has kindly reviewed for you. If you are female, this could be the perfect line to get your man into if you want him to have soft and hydrated skin
It’s by a new UK brand called Mazorin which was developed for “urban professionals” who have a gruelling lifestyle and need something uplifting which takes care of their dehydrated and stressed skin.
The current range exists of the 3 following hero products:
- Working late eye serum*
- Pre-meeting face re-vamp*
- Optimal face maintenance*
My boyfriend tested these products and here is his honest opinion:
First of all, the line feels very luxury and masculine. I like the urban business feel of it and the matt, understated packaging adds to this. For me personally, the best product was the optimal face maintenance, which is a face moisturizer packed with
oxidants to protect your skin from the environment,
peptides which are very moisturising, as well as Vitamins to give your skin that extra kick,
6. My skin felt very soft afterwards and it also protects me from aging, so I love it.
Pre-meeting face re-vamp is
gel and working late eye serum is a roll on for your eyes. They are very handy for traveling and reduce
signs of fatigue because of the caffeine and hyaluronic acid in it. I would recommend all of these products if you have stressed, dry skin like me, although I must say that the face revamp is a bit hard to use at the beginning and it feels a bit sticky.
He will use this skin care throughout autumn/winter. Do we have any guy opinions here? What are you using?
The Mazorin line is available at www.mazorin.com
Posted in Beauty | Tagged autumn skin care, men's skin care, winter skin care | 2 Comments »
This outfit is so easy to wear and has become my go to outfit for going out. It’s a simple black dress with a lace cut-out in the front and the back. I got it very cheap on eBay and I think it looks much more expensive than it actually is.
I paired it here with my black dune wedges and for a pop of colour a turquoise spike necklace from Primark.
Posted in Fashion | Tagged black dress, fashion, fashion friday, little black dress | Leave a Comment »
Please excuse my absence, but I was very busy with different projects. First, I took part in the German musical production of Zorro where I had several small parts. It was hard work but in the end, it was all worth it because it was so much fun and we performed together an entire year, which was enough time to form deep friendships and meet awesome people.
Here is a nice, big photo bomb of my awesome time at the musical
Me (left) and Nina
Later, I went to Gran Canary with two friends of mine, where I had one week off work/studying/musical rehearsals and was able de-stress and unwind. I loved drinking a nice, fruity cocktail by the sea and enjoyed safe sunbathing under my umbrella as well as the stunning countryside of Gran Canary.
We went on a catamaran trip where we made for deep water to go snorkelling and banana boat riding. I saw colourful fishes and coral reefs and I just love it. Oh, I even had a fish pedicure-my feet felt so soft afterwards!
My other projects would bore you, so I’m not going to talk about it now. It’s just for work and I’m writing my master thesis, so there’s loads to do.
Nevertheless, I promise to do some highly requested posts on autumn/winter fashion and on winter skin care very soon
Oh, and before I forget- I went to a Oktoberfest with my friends and we had lots of beer or “Maß” (not the one in Munich, a smaller one)
Oktoberfest with my girls
xoxo, Kim x
Posted in Life | Tagged Autmn, German Oktoberfest, Gran Canary, Musical Zorro | Leave a Comment »